Scouts is full of ordinary people making an extraordinary difference to young people’s lives and learning a whole lot along the way!
Volunteering with the 2nd Cambridge Scout Group is fun, impactful and rewarding. You will also learn more about yourself while working with young people. Being involved with something bigger than you is good for your mental health too. It’s a great feeling knowing you’re helping young people get skills for life and shaping their future in the process.
Scouts can make you feel good in other ways too, where you will:
- Make friends and meet people
- Try new things and challenge yourself
- Get outdoors and get stuck in
- Positively impact your community
- Create vital opportunities for young people
- Make memories that’ll last a lifetime
Whether you want to work with young people directly or help out behind the scenes, there’s something for everyone at Scouts.
Volunteering with young people
Team player? Love supporting young people? Great at planning?
Most of our volunteers work directly with young people aged 6-18 through our Beaver, Cub, Scout and Explorer groups, known as sections – helping young people gain skills for life through activities and adventures.
Working in teams, you might:
- Welcome young people and families to sessions and events
- Make sure everyone’s safe, supported, included and having fun
- Help to plan and lead activities
- Get involved with days out, camps and expeditions
- Share and learn skills – from coding to cake decorating to canoeing
- Celebrate young people’s achievements big and small
No previous experience with young people? No problem. Whether you’d like to help out week-after-week or whenever-you-can, we provide training, learning opportunities and cups of tea – every step of the way.
Making it all happen
Want to make a big impact behind the scenes? Your time and skills can make a difference in so many ways.
Not all volunteers work directly with young people. Locally, regionally and nationally, many help out in other ways.
Working in teams, you might:
- Get the best out of volunteers, using their people and leadership skills
- Spread the word about Scouts to attract new members
- Help with admin, fundraising, finances, operations or governance
- Keep everything running smoothly on the ground – from serving tea and coffee, helping to tidy up after meetings or sessions, driving or keeping meeting places in tip top condition
If you can only occasionally help, that’s OK. Whether you’d like to be an activity planner, tea-maker or craft creator, we appreciate any time you can spare.
How to Join – Volunteer Application Pack
Please download the following two documents, complete and email them back to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may WhatsApp the completed forms to the Group Scout Leader (GSL) on 07736 779 448.
There is ongoing training for volunteers to help them fulfil their roles effectively.
These mandatory 5 modules are to be completed immediately following the appointment.
Additionally, one of the following 3 modules depending on the position: